Sunday, December 20, 2009

Is it better to use salt or vinegar to set the color of fabric the first wash?

I'm washing a silk dress that has a stain on it. The tag says dry clean only but, I've washed silk shirts before with no problem. I'm just wondering if the color will bleed and if I should use salt or vinegar to set the color, and also what should I use to get the stain out (its lip gloss) and dress is brand new got as discountIs it better to use salt or vinegar to set the color of fabric the first wash?
Vinegar is acidic , and will fade some fabrics . My grandmother always told em to use salt to set in colors , and when I wash my husbands jeans I always uses salt to set the color in and yes it does work . If I am just washing one pair of his jeans I use 1 1/2 cup of salt . but for your silk dress I would dissolve 3/4 o a cup of salt in warm water and let it sit for a few minutes until the water is cool , and wash the dress on gentle cycle , and then if your gonna dry it , dry it on the air dry setting .





As for stains I now use ZOTE it is a laundry bar it is very gentle , but yet powerful at removing stains even dried milk on babys clothes red clay , and even greasy stains . You can get it at some dollar stores , but I havent seen any at the dollar stores in the small town I live in , so I get mine at a local Latino store , for the small bar it is around 67 cents and for a large 14.1 oz is about a dollar and it lasts for a long time .Is it better to use salt or vinegar to set the color of fabric the first wash?
salt, one load one box of salt. But I would think twice on silk, Lip Gloss is greasey and is very hard to get out. My husband washes his clothes with a can of coke to get grease out.

No comments:

Post a Comment