Sunday, December 20, 2009

Can I wash my painted walls with vinegar and water?

My female cat has been spraying around our house. I've only found one spot where she's sprayed but the moment you walk in our front door the smell about knocks you out so I am assuming there must be more than I have found. I want to know if a mixture of vinegar and water will damage the painted walls to try to get rid of the awful smell?Can I wash my painted walls with vinegar and water?
Smells caused by pets can be treated with rubbing the area with a cloth dipped in white vinegar. Vinegar won't harm painted surfaces and will kill bacteria that cause the smell. If you are worried dilute the vinegar to a 1/2 solution. Test a small area of the wall first where it cannot be seen to be on the safe side. Undiluted white vinegar can be dabbed on other areas to combat smells and bacteria.Can I wash my painted walls with vinegar and water?
The paint should be ok on it, use less vinegar than you think you should though. Any that gets on a carpet will try to bleach out the dyes there, so be careful. Use it with a sponge, that seems to work best.





Have you tried soap and water on the area first? I'd give that a try first. Don't scrub hard unless it's a gloss finish. A matte finish is more apt to come off if you scrub.

No comments:

Post a Comment