Thursday, January 7, 2010

Will washing my clothes in white vinegar make it smell like white vinegar?

So I heard that if you wash your clothes with 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle, it removes lint and softens your clothes. I am having a huge problem with this black sweater I have that keeps getting lint on it.





A lint roller just wont work for me. So I was wondering, will washing it in white vinegar make it smell like vinegar? I heard some people say yes, some people say no.Will washing my clothes in white vinegar make it smell like white vinegar?
I have never heard of using vinegar for lint but it's great for removing odor, sour towels, urine stains, sweaty clothes, etc. I use quite a bit depending on the size and smell, and the clothes never smell like vinegar. But, maybe try washing the sweater inside out and with not many clothes in the load, and of course there is always the lint roller.Will washing my clothes in white vinegar make it smell like white vinegar?
Using white vinegar in the final rinse will not leave odor in clothes. The odor dissipates when the clothes are dry. 1/2 cup vinegar per FULL load of clothes is sufficient. If you're washing a smaller load, 1/4 cup should do.





A good detergent can make a difference too. I really like Woolite for Darks. Unfortunately, it is not made in an HE formula. So now I use Tide Total Care. It does a great job on nice clothes.





When you wash the sweater, turn it inside out. That will help to keep lint off of it. Turn it right side when you hang it to dry.





I wash all my nice clothes inside out. That prevents lint, pilling, and any other damage. I also make sure everything is buttoned and zipped before I put it in the washer.





Hope this helps!
No, I've never had a problem with vinegar smelling clothes and I use vinegar in all my laundry loads.





For me, I put it in place of the fabric softener....my washer has a liquid fabric softener dispenser, so I put the vinegar in there. Manual states the fabric softener dispenser is released during the rinse cycle, so it work's the same.





Between the rinsing, and then the ';last rinse'; and then drying, I never smell vinegar.





I'd say give it a go.
I have used it on my clothes before and the vinegar smell went away once the clothes were dry. A couple times when I used too much they smelled a bit vinegar-y for a couple hours but I just let them air out and it went away quickly.





I'm not sure that vinegar is the best thing for this though- I don't know that it works too well for this type of lint problem. Have you tried lint brushes or sweater combs? The lint brushes work way better than rollers on sweaters and those stupid lint ball things they get, they are $3-4 at Walgreens. Also they make sweater combs that kinda cut off the lint bumps, I've never tried them though.





Anyway, vinegars prob. worth a try, if it doesn't work or smells weird just rewash normally and the smell would definitely disappear. Just google first to make sure the fabric doesn't get damaged by vinegar.
Are you sure it is lint and not soap scum? Try the vinegar, it helps with the scum. In the future you may have to wash the sweater by hand, away from other clothes as it sounds to be a great magnet for stuff.
I use white vinegar in the rinse, and have for years. I don't smell vinegar in my clothes, and my family hasn't complained. Try it, see if it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment